10 Swaps to Go Plastic Free in Your Bathroom
If you are looking to be more sustainable and Earth friendly, welcome to the party!
A great way to start going plastic free, is to tackle one room at a time. This way, you can break the process down into manageable chunks and it doesn’t get too overwhelming.
- Swapping out Plastic Shower Gels and Shampoo/Conditioners – I was very attached to my skin and haircare routine but the pandemic was a great time for me to try out different products and settle on a few that worked. I now have a staple few that I use religiously. Shampoo, conditioner and soap bars are a great option while travelling and they are much less messy than liquid products. I love our Refills range which smell great and do the job at the same time reducing the single use plastic we send to the landfill. For anyone wanting to make a measured switch, I recommend starting off with knowing your hair and skin type and choosing accordingly; then buying small quantities and trying them on weekends or when working from home so you can see how they work before taking the plunge.
- Bamboo toothbrushes – We love our bamboo toothbrushes from Non Plastic Beach, which come in a variety of colours and can be repurposed to label plants in the garden once they have completed their use at home or simply composted (after pulling off the bristles).
- Dental Teeth cleaning tabs - We have been using Denttabs at home for over 2 years now and they work just as well as toothpaste, without the plastic.
- Natural Dental Floss – A simple product that amazingly in most commercial brands contains plastic! Natural dental floss helps the planet and keeps your teeth clean. They can be composted straight after use.
- Bamboo or Organic Cotton Wipes – 2.5 billion wet wipes wash up at river beds and harm marine animals every year. With cloth wipes which are reusable, you will not only stop them from polluting our rivers, you also reduce the demand for single use products. Our crocheted cotton wipes can be home composted at the end of their life.
- Plastic Free Loofah or Bath Sponge – This is another great alternative as most commercially available loofah sponges are made of plastic. Swapping them out for a bath sponge or a natural loofah is great for your skin as its less abrasive and great for the planet.
- Plastic free Deodorant – Most commercial deodorants contain aluminium which have been linked with cancer. Not only are natural deodorants from Remi Pure produced locally thereby reducing the carbon footprint, they are also made from real ingredients and chemical free which means that they don’t clog your pores and glands and are better for you. Remi Pure and Ku’tis both package their products in recyclable and compostable packaging, thereby reducing what you send to the landfill.
- Safety Razor – Safety Razors look quite daunting to start with, but with a gentle hand, they are very efficient. You will save so much money in the long run as the blades last longer and the shaver itself is much more durable. We love our Wild and Stone razors, which come with 5 blades and a cotton storage bag. They make a great gift too.
- Cleaning Products – Choose to refill your laundry liquids and powders, toilet cleaners, surface cleaner and floor cleaner, and you drastically reduce the number of single use plastic you send to the landfill. Not only this, but the products we offer are all sulphate and phosphate free, meaning that they are safe for wildlife and marine life once they go down the drain and do no harm.
- Keep a Compost bin in the bathroom – I recommend this to keep you motivated. As you see this bin filling up and the items in your regular bin reducing, you will be able to see how far you have come and how much it difference you are making to reducing plastic waste!